Sunday, May 8, 2011

Week 1 Response to Peer Reading: Tiffany Jones

Tiffany Jones wrote:

Wk 1- Reading Copyright... what is Right??

This first week of Media Asset Creation has really provided some great learning opportunities, examining copyright from both sides.

The movies/clips were so informative, beginning with "Good Copy, Bad Copy" This was a very clever film that took a look at how music is being remixed and used around the world. How ultimately, the remixes are being remixed. After viewing this I was left wondering how I felt and what tack to take with this blog post. Then I reviewed the rest of the weeks assignments and read the book and discovered more about Creative Commons and what kind of service they provide to the creating world. Information is changing so quickly and the way multimedia is being used is evolving and becoming more common place, anyone can create something new. By allowing creators to easily put a copyright on their creations, supports the copyright laws while at the same time stays flexible enough so that materials can be shared. I believe that this is the way of the future, people are going to find things and put them together with their own spin. As long as creators are being given credit for creations, and people are being sensible with others work, resourcefulness can continue on with pure intentions. Piracy can be slowed and infringements can be turned around. The answer to this divide is education, letting students, creators and teachers know that they have rights and restrictions and what those both are. The more knowledge the more people have, the better the world will be.




Brenda McGee commented by saying:

Tiffany,

I agree that students need to be educated on the laws and restrictions. I learned some things I did not know by watching these videos. I am a Graphic Designer and Illustrator and I have seen some of my work reused repeatedly when it was purchased for something else.

The one thing I found disturbing is the locking away of history. The students of today will never see this very important history that helped to build this nation. I think these movies need to be available for educational purposes because in order to grow you need to know your history. I see this as a form of censorship and control over information.

No comments:

Post a Comment