Saturday, May 14, 2011

Wk2 Reading: Art of Possibility Chapters 1 – 4



Rosamund and Benjamin Zander in the book The Art of Possibility, left me with mixed emotions about the teaching. I believe that anything is possible if you prey and trust God.
The authors presented a series of practices with catchphrases that were not based on old beliefs. They also talk about transforming entire worlds and moving outside of the box, we create for ourselves. I agree that the people, who have self-motivation and do not confine themselves to one plan, accomplish more in life. I have to admit that I create barriers for myself out of fear that I might fail. I would have accomplished more in life if I stepped outside of the box and ignored the fear that was holding me back earlier in life. When I decided to go back to school, there was fear that I would not accomplish this in one year. I asked God to guide my steps and remove the fear. I just let life unfold and look what I have accomplished, I am almost done with my Master’s degree. I had to step back and “size up the situation” enlarge the box and “move from the invented to the universe of possibility”.

AS it states in the book, Giving an “A” requires that one speak to people from a place of respect and developing a relationship, which includes teamwork and partnership. I find that today’s workplace is stressful because the focus is moving away from teamwork and respect. These barriers and the lack of contribution to others is tearing down companies.

I wake up everyday planning how I will make today count and what I can do to make a difference each day. Life does not matter if you do not leave a footprint everyday.

Zander, B. & Zander, R. (2000). The art of possibility. Boston: Harvard Business School Press.

Images from Microsoft HD Clip Gallery User Database, Skyscape j0178460.jpg

2 comments:

  1. I agree whole heartedly that if we lean on our faith in God and treat people like Christ would with respect and believing that they are worth something then we can be successful in helping/teaching others. Even though the authors were not speaking from a biblical stand point this is what one of Christ's main messages was. He said that we should love one another.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good overview and summary of the reading, I'm glad that you previously stepped outside your box and took on the challenge of the emdt program. And, yes, this is something that we have to engage one day at a time. :-)

    ReplyDelete