Sunday, May 22, 2011

Wk3 Reading: Art of Possibility Chapters 5 – 8

Rosamund and Benjamin Zander in the book The Art of Possibility discuss the principles of “Leading from any chair” and this chapter forces me to think about the difficulties I face daily at work. I struggle with seeking acceptance and recognition from my colleagues. No matter how hard I work to promote and support the new administrator and staff it is never noticed. It uses to bother me but I had to find ways to motivate and toot my own horn. I allowed this to frustrate me and focused on it too much. I had to eventually lightened up and break the hold it had on me in order to move forward. I work quietly and passionately, and stayed committed to the mission of the school, set my own goals, and strive to reach them, and that helps me to measure my successes. Chapter 7 talks about “being present to the way things are” but not accepting the way things are. After I figured out that, I was not changing the way people act by complaining I began to find ways to work in this environment without resistance. I began to kill the enemy with kindness and positive reaction and avoided taking anything personal. Once I stopped blaming and finding fault in other I was able to look at myself and what I was doing to affect how people responded to me. I have become an active participant in my life, now that I have taken the control back from others.

No comments:

Post a Comment